March 6, 2012

Homemade Honey Peanut Butter

While visiting my family in Maine, my sister-in-law and I got to gabbing about how she makes homemade almond butter. I have always wanted to make my own nut butter, and I got a fancy shmancy new food processor for Christmas (thanks Mom!), so since I was all inspired, I decided to give it a go.

I do have almonds on hand, but I wanted to start off my buttering adventure with peanuts. I am a peanut butter type of girl. I love it so much and cook with it all the time. Noodles, soups, stir-fry. Whenever, whatever, I season it with peanut butter.

My puppy dog loves that I cook with peanut butter because I always let him lick the spoon.

That much puppy joy is hard to capture without the camera wiggling a bit.

For my first endeavor into nut butter, I didn't want just plain peanut butter. Plus, who are we kidding, I love sweetness. So I went the honey peanut butter route. Here's my recipe...



Honey Peanut Butter Recipe
Makes 10 tbsp of peanut butter

1 cup of peanuts - dry roasted. No salt. (use salted if you want, just omit the salt from the recipe).
1 tsp salt
1 tsp coconut oil
2 tbsp honey



Add your dry roasted peanuts to your food processor and start processing. Your peanuts will get all dry and powdery at first, and after a few minutes the oils will start to clump everything together. 
Dry and powdery...

Starting to get clumpy...

Clumpy!!


After your peanut butter gets clumpy, add the salt, coconut oil and honey. Blend it all together for about another minute. Viola, you have honey peanut butter!

*Notes*
* My sister-in-law recommended adding coconut oil to the peanut butter because not only does it add just a hint of great coconut taste, but since it is a solid oil at room temperature, it won't separate from the peanut butter and will help the peanut butter spread if you keep it in the fridge.

* If you don't have coconut oil or don't like it, try adding 1 tsp of a different oil. Perhaps walnut if you have it, or just canola. You will need to stir the peanut butter though before using it to blend the oil back in.

* Definitely feel free to tweak around the sweetness level. The two tbsp of honey gives you a definite honey taste. If you want something more subtle, go 1 to 1.5 tbsp of honey.

* I am just storing this stuff in a pyrex glass jar with lid in my fridge. I only made about 10 tbsp, so I assume it will be gone in a week, maybe two.


It's a pretty simple recipe, but I hope you enjoy making your own nut butter. Let me know if you make any and if you experiment at all with different nuts or flavors. I am planning on making a spicy peanut butter as soon as I eat all my honey pb. I will let you know how that goes!


Nutrition Information 
(per 1 tbsp of honey peanut butter)

Calories - 102
Fat - 7.8g
Carbs - 6.6g
Fiber - 1g
Protein - 3.5g
Sugar - 2.3g


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate what you have to say and read every comment. If you need to get in touch with me right away, email me at mysweetnomsa@gmail.com. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...