March 19, 2010

Hypochondria...

Hello, my name is Ashlee and I am a Hypochondriac.

<Hi Ashlee! Welcome!>

It's true. I am a bonafide Hypochrondiac suffering with a case of cyberchondria. Cyberchondria is a colloquial term for hypochondria in individuals who have researched medical conditions on the Internet. In other words, WebMd = my vice. It gives me my fix of daily dome.

If you tell me you have an illness, within 24 hours I fully believe I also have that illness. WebMd confirms my aliment and also lets me know three dozen other diseases I have. I don't know if you have been to WebMd lately, but they have this program on there called a 'Symptom Checker.' It is basically a human body and you click on the area that hurts. You narrow down your symptoms and then they show you the hundreds of possible diseases you have. It's awful, yet wonderful at the same time.

Last week, the Husband and I went into the doctors for full physicals. I went in with my full list of possible illnesses (blood clots, anemia, uterine fibroids, cancer, etc) and was completely dismissed by the doctor. Typically I like my doctor to say, "No Ashlee, you don't have any blood clots because of x,y,z." I like to be constantly comforted and pulled out of my medical delusions, and instead, he insisted on doing blood work. The nerve!

Anyway, today I get a call from the doctor's office saying they need to talk to me about my blood work and want me to come in. Oh, and the first available appointment is only five days away. Ummm....five days! Do you realize how many times I can convince myself I am dying in five days?!?!

Alas....such is my fate. I have been told it is not urgent, but still, I am anxious. I am going to try my best to not spend the next 12 hours on WebMD discovering horrible things. Wish me luck.

1 comment :

  1. I used to suffer from cybercondria. Now I utilize "Ask A Nurse". Your picnic looks devine and those sandwhiches, yum. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate what you have to say and read every comment. If you need to get in touch with me right away, email me at mysweetnomsa@gmail.com. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...